Interior Minister Mohsin Naqvi has directed the authorities to ensure that no passenger carrying valid and complete travel documents is stopped from travelling at Islamabad International Airport.
The decision has been taken after receiving repeated complaints about passengers being offloaded from flights despite having genuine visas and papers, as part of the government's crackdown on the smuggling of migrants following the Greece boat tragedy last year.
In a post on X, Naqvi said he visited the airport to meet outbound passengers and hear their concerns firsthand. He ordered strict action against visa agents exploiting travellers and expressed concern over a complaint from November 7 about low staffing at immigration counters. He also ordered an immediate inquiry and a review of CCTV footage.
He emphasised that passengers who try to travel on fake or unverified documents would not be allowed to board and warned that these actions harm the international reputation of Pakistan. He said, “Agent mafias playing with people’s futures for money will face zero tolerance.”
The directive comes after the FIA clarified that only those passengers who either did not have valid documents or were suspected of having links with migrant-smuggling networks were being offloaded.
Legal action has also been started by the FIA against the spreading of false information on social media related to the offloading incidents.
Earlier, FIA Director General Riffat Mukhtar had verified incidents of passenger offloading at Lahore and Karachi airports and had stated that investigations were underway.
The authorities once again emphasised that the genuine traveller with complete documents shall not experience any disturbance, while the government remains in continued vigil against illegal travel networks.